Thursday, September 17, 2009

TGIT

Thank goodness it's Friday.

Things are looking good as we head off on vacation to Penang (Georgetown). When we get back Jaime and her friend Sheila arrive for 4 days before they head off to Australia and the next leg of their Asian adventure.

I am looking forward to showing them around and teaching them what we have learned about Malaysia.

Today I swiped a chair out of the staffroom that can actually be adjusted up and down. So I can now type much faster as I am no longer begging at the keyboard. The downside is that it does not roll very well, but I type more than I roll around the staffroom so it is all good.

I think I have mentionned that Malaysian organizational skills are rather different. For example our staffroom has 2 ancient printers (older than 10 years) that are very slow and are forever jamming and breaking down. However the printers make the photocopier look good. I have made it a goal to convince the administration that teachers are the most valuable (and costly) resource Taylor's has and we have to work smarter not harder. That means that collating and stapling is not a good use of our time. We should spend our time teaching, planning, and meeting with students. Technology is so inexpensive it just does not make any sense to try to limp along with 10 year old dinosaurs!

The problem is the folks that have the budget dollars do not actually use the equipment. I am working on it.

My cold is getting a little better and I have requested a hand sanitizer station to be installed in the lab. I would also like the keyboards cleaned at least once a week. With 75+ students going through the lab every day and given the fact that I type on about 75% of the keyboards every day, the keyboards are a petri dish of bacteria, that end up infecting me.

Time to go to Starbucks for my caffeine fix.

TTYL,

Jim

No comments:

Post a Comment