Sunday, March 7, 2010

Sunday and Hot

We seem to be in a hot spell lately with temperatures pushing 40 degrees, however I have seen 43 degrees and humidy in North Carolina when I took a basketball team there in July.  Same same, but different.  That's a common saying here in Malaysia when you order something like a Quarter Pounder with Cheese and they give you a Big Mac.

Shelley and I went into Taylors today to do a little work.  We lasted until 12 noon when the heat became unbearable (they don't switch the aircon on on Sundays). Have you ever used 2 on's in a row like that before? Looks weird.

I also walked to Taylors on Saturday and ran a little experiment.  I may have mentioned the Malaysian drivers complete distain for stop signs.  They simply drive right through them without stopping.  I saw two vehicles approaching an intersection with a stop sign and I was there early and did not want to wait for them to motor through the stop sign, so I said to myself, 'Surely they will stop if someone is crossing there!'. Not, I almost got ran over!

It appears that Malaysian have a complete disregard for pedestrians and consider them lower class (can't afford your own car) and have no respect for them. That and the fact that they consider themself hidden within the confines of the vehicle and so don't give a shit. I have mentioned this to my students and they wondered why I was concerned.  It appears it is just part of their culture, along with throwing garbage everywhere, not holding doors for people, getting ahead at all costs, and numerous other things that tend to irk a reflective thinker who cares for their fellow person on this planet (at least from time to time :-)). The students have just given up affecting any kind of change and see the solution is simply to emigrate to another country.  I imagine some of them like it just the way it is.

Someone mentioned to Shelley that March and April are the hottest months.  Wonder why that is?

Hey Coach, haven't heard from you in a while. WWWHHHAAAZZZZUUUPP?

TTYL,

Jim

No comments:

Post a Comment