Thursday, January 14, 2010

TGIF

I have already mentioned a few times that I miss the many TGIF's back at the Board office. I am already looking forward to a June TGIF reunion and King Louie is in charge of organizing it! Is our favourite bar tender still tending bar at East Side's?

It's another beautiful 30 degree day here in lotus land. I wonder what the temperature is in Ottawa. Oh why not check. 1 degree, what's going on, global warming or a chinook blowing in from the west?

I have been tasked with deciding on an ePortfolio system for Taylor's CPU (Canadian Pre University) school. At this moment I am leaning towards the extended version of Acrobat 9. Sorry Paul Cotton, but Microsoft just does not get it yet although the merger of the Office Live and Windows Live teams may help. Adobe just has good designers and decent programmers which seems to win out over good programmers and decent designers. Google Docs is also in the running. Office Live and Google Docs are free which is actually a problem as Taylor's wants to promote the program by stating we provide ePortfolios for each student. Free ePortfolios are something that any institution can jump on board. TCO (total cost of ownership) not withstanding, it makes for better advertising copy. We definitely are in the education business in Asia.

Shelley and I both have to work this weekend as we are manning the registration and admissions desk at Taylor's over the weekend. It's our job to answer questions by students and parents about the school and convince them that Taylor's is the place for them. I have learned to not say that we make learning fun as most Asian parents feel it should be boring and painful and if it is fun it is not demanding and challenging enough. Go figure!

I am currently in my lab awaiting my first class of the day. Class rosters have not solidified yet so I am teaching a bit of fluff today in the form of type of tweening animations that are available in Flex and actionscript 3. We spend much more time in a couple of months on this topic.

TTYL,

Jim

No comments:

Post a Comment