Thursday, February 2, 2012

Random Thoughts in the New Year

It is Thursday night and the weekend is almost here. It was a beautiful sunny day in Vancouver and the high was about 10. I have been spending way too much time programming and not enough time outside or in the gym. I joined the Steve Nash gym and try to get there every second day for a work out. It is a 3 minute walk from my condo so there is no excuse for not going.

I was just reflecting on the cruise ship that ran aground off the shore of Italy. That lead me to thinking that cruise ships are really the epitome of what is wrong with our world. I have been on cruise ships and I must admit I enjoyed them the first or second time, but not because of the ship as much as the places it took me. It is the grandest example of indulgence that is available to the general public. I am not sure if I will ever do it again for many reasons, some ethical, and some not. In some ports of call, the locals are not permitted on the beach until the cruise ship departs. Go figure. If you travel, get down and dirty and talk to the locals and spend some time with them. Your life will be more enriched for the experience.

I was also reflecting on monkeys and the 3 chimps, Larry, Steve, and Gabe. They were a lot of fun to be with and I would have to include Don (little Dude) as well as an honorary 4th chimp. I did find a statue of the chimps in my travels in South East Asia, and there is indeed, a 4th chimp. There is see no evil, hear no evil, say no evil, and a 4th chimp with an erect penis which I assume is do no evil.

I also then reflected that there are no female chimps in my list so I came up with 3 more honorary chimps. They are of course, Liz, Deb, and Linda. They are fine examples of what constitutes a chimp in my mind. They are lots of fun, like to drink, have a wicked sense of humor, especially wicked Wensley, and can take a kidding in stride and hand it right back.

I am in Vancouver until about the end of March and then I head back to South East Asia for about 6 or 7 weeks. After that I do not know where the wind will blow me. I guess I will look for a sign of some sort and let that dictate what happens for the foreseeable future.

TTYL,

Jim



No comments:

Post a Comment