Thursday, February 28, 2013

Mom's Stroke

My Mother suffered a serious stroke yesterday and she is in the hospital. My sister Ann meets with her neurologist this morning to find out how extensive the damage is. Hopefully, it is not severe, but my Mother's days of living independently (with major support from my sister Elaine) in her own house may be over.

Worse case scenario, I have to jump a plane back to Ottawa asap. Regardless, I am back in Vancouver in a couple of weeks and I will pack up my belongings into my SUV and drive back across Canada to Ottawa to store my belongings, sell my SUV (to my son Jordan) and finally part with my motorcycle.

My plan is to retire to Thailand full time with a couple of trips back to Canada every year to visit my sisters and friends. Once your parents have passed on, it is important to work on maintaining contact with your siblings. My sisters don't seem keen on jumping a plane to Thailand, so I guess it is up to me to go there.

My decision to retire to Thailand is simple economics. The cheapest apartment I could accept in Ottawa would be about $1500 a month whereas I will have a fully furnished new condo in downtown Bangkok with Cable, Internet, gym, and pool for $400 a month. I eat out all the time inexpensively, and I am never at a loss for something to do. I do not need a car as I can walk to eveything or take the BTS (skytrain).

Hey Larry, it looks like I need you late March or early April for our beer and wings trek across Canada. You still game?

TTYL,

Jim


No comments:

Post a Comment