Monday, December 24, 2012

Christmas Eve

Merry Christmas To all

It is Christmas Eve and I decided to cook a turkey. I purchased a 10 KG bird at Costco which means I will be living on Turkey for at least a week. I popped the bird in the oven at 3 and plan to eating by 9 am. I went for a walk and purchased a baster to keep the bird moist. I also bought some mini potatoes and butternut squash. I will add the squash and potatoes with about an hour to go.

I am not good at stuffing so I filled the buzzard up with onions and apples to add a little flavor. I pull the bird every hour to baste it with its own juices. In between I devour a glass of red wine. I did remember to have a shot of Bailey's upon putting the bird into the oven.

Unfortunately I have no tree this year. Just never got around to it. I also don't have any ornaments despite spending thousands of dollars on ornaments over the past 30 years.

I will go to bed about midnight and sleep in Christmas day. After my usual coffee I will call back home to Ottawa and wish my Mom and sisters a merry Christmas as they gather for Christmas dinner at my sister Ann's condo in downtown Ottawa. Apparently Ottawa has about 60 cm's of snow, so they have a white Christmas, while I have a green Christmas in Vancouver.

I went for a walk about 3 ish in downtown Vancouver and was amazed at the stress and last minute shoppers making the round of stores. I am happy to be out of the consumer trap and did not miss wrapping many, many presents. Christmas is not about giving and getting, it is about remembering and enjoying the moment.

My daughter Jaime is in Malayisa and Jordan is home for Christmas but is spening Christmas with his girlfriend Sasha and her parents in a chalet in the Laurentians.

I wish you all a Merry Christmas, wherever you happen to be and whomever you happen to be wish :-)

TTYL,

Jim

No comments:

Post a Comment