Sunday, June 28, 2009

Arrival

It's 6:30 Monday morning (6:30 pm Sunday night for you). Shelley and I went to bed last night at 9 pm and slept right through. This morning a driver from Taylors will pick us up at 9 am and take us there for an appointment in HR to get some signing done. After that meeting we will meet with the real estate agent and start reviewing condos.

I am hooked up to the internet via the broadband at the Sheraton and it seems quite fast but it is expesive at 60 ringgits per day ($20). I will be searching out Starbucks for a coffee and to check their prices.

KL (actually Subang Jaya) where we are reminds me of a cross between Orlando and Spain/Italy. Orlando dues to the highways and humidity and Italy/Spain as everyone hangs their closing out on the balcony to dry (no clothes driers). Guess what no hot water taps in most buildings. You can buy a gizmo for heating water on demand and I guess Shelley and I will do so as cold showers in the morning are not our cup of tea.

I thought I fried my computer last night as I fiddled with electrical adapters to get plugged into the wall. Malaysia, being an ex British colony uses the British physical plug (big clunky affair) and of course 240 volts versus the North American 120. Easy enough to fry stuff if you don't know what you are doing. Most computer charging bricks will take both 120/240.

I have nicknamed the flight from Vancouver to Hong Kong the 'Iron Butt'. Twelve hours in an airplane seat should be outlawed by the Geneva convention as cruel and inhumane. Hong Kong was kind of cool (we only saw the airport and harbour) and I look forward to visiting it someday (perhaps with Francis/Doogie and King Louie).

Jim Leonard are Director (principal) picked us up at the airport with a van and driver and took us to the Sheraton where we promptly lay down for a cat nap that stretched to 3 hours. We then met Jim for supper at TGIF's (yes, all the usual supsects ar within walking distance). I had a beer and a 'Friday's chicken sandwich and Shelley had some noodle dish (they all look the same to me). It was great talking to Jim as he has been here since January and knows quite a bit that he shared with us. We started fogging over (jet lag) and Jim dropped us off at the hotel and we crashed.

Jim also took us to his lovely apartment at 'The Boulevards'. It a great complex with 24 hour security (gated community) and a gorgeous layout with 12 foot ceilings. We may be tempted to stay there but we will await the real estate tour. One of my priorities is fast high speed internet access as I can not survive without it.

I guess it's time to raise Shelley (she's sleeping as I am typing in the dark - sun rises at 7 am, sets at 7 pm) as we get a free breakfast every morning and it would be a shame to waste it. We are booked into the Sheraton for 7 days (got to like that) and the staff here are wonderful. We walked in the door and they immediately served us with iced lemonade!

TTYL,

Jim

No comments:

Post a Comment