Thursday, January 10, 2013

Beautiful Sunny Day

Well someone upstairs was listening and I am enjoying a beautiful sunny day in Vancouver. I must get out and go for a long walk while it is daylight and the sun is shining. The temperature is a balmy (well for Canada in wintertime :-) 5 degrees.

I am writing this connected up to my Samsung Note 2, using it as a WiFi hotspot. I have LTE through Rogers and when I ran SpeedTest from my laptop, I got download speeds of 10 MBS and upload of 1.5 MBS which is faster that I get with my Telus high speed in my apartment.

However, I get much faster speeds on my Note 2 and Rogers dumbs it down so you don't use it at home with your whole family connected to it. All in all, it is a great solution and I could lose my Telus connection, but it is included in my rent so I will keep it. I have a 3 Gig data plan and I don't seem to go over it, as yet :-)

If you have not had a chance to play with a Samsung Note 2 you are really missing out on something. With a quad processor, 1200 by 800 screen, 5.5" display and an LTE data plan, it really is the internet anywhere. All of a sudden all those mapping apps and the internet becomes way more than usable, almost indispensable.

The only downside to my Note 2 is that it runs 4.1 version of the OS and does not support flash. For those of you who thinks flash is going away anytime soon, try browsing the internet without Flash and see all those sites that display nothing but an error message stating you do not have flash loaded. THANK YOU Steve Jobs for scuttling the only ubiquitous run time that ran everywhere. I wonder what adobe wanted so badly from Apple that they agree to abandon Flash on Mobile devices. My Note 2 is way more powerful than computers I was using 7-8 years ago that ran Flash with no problem.

Jobs just saw Adobe as too big a competitor to Apple and it's propitiatory App Store. BTW, having a hundred thousand apps in an App Store is a waste of time when 90% of them are useless or simply, the same app written 100 times. How many angry bird games do you really need and don't you have something better to do with your time?

Well enough educating of the masses ... I have done my bit for today ... TTYL,

Jim

No comments:

Post a Comment